1. Who wrote Hamlet?
2. What country is Hamlet set in?
3. Does the play open in day or night?
4. Who are Bernardo, Francisco and Marcellus?
5. Who is Gertrude?
Queen of Norway
Queen of Denmark
6. Why did Laertes go to France?
To visit his family
To go skiing
7. What does the ghost ask of Hamlet?
8. What does Polonius think is the cause of Hamlet’s madness?
9. How did Hamlet know Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
They are his cousins
From a sword duel
10. Who does Hamlet kill first?
11. Where does Hamlet put the body of the first person he killed?
In a wardrobe
12. Why does Hamlet ask the actors to change the play?
Because he didn’t like the ending
Because he wanted to show the truth about Claudius
Because he wanted to scare the people in the audience
13. Where did Claudius send Hamlet?
14. What did Claudius ask the King of England in his letter?
To kill Hamlet
To look after Hamlet
To ask if he could come visit him
15. Act 5 opens in a graveyard; who is being buried?
16. What did Hamlet do before the final duel?
Apologised to Laertes for their earlier fight
17. What does Claudius say about Gertrude after she falls on the floor from the poison?
She needs a nap
She feels ill when she sees blood
She toppled her chair over
18. Does Claudius tell the truth at the end of the play?
19. Who says the line ‘Goodnight Sweet Prince’?
20. Who gets the crown at the end of the play?
Here is a modern version of Hamlet, by Terry Deary.